Story by Sara Peters | Altra Federal Credit Union
With summer vacation travel just around the corner, Mobile Banking makes it easy to stay on top of your finances from just about anywhere. Here are some tips to keep your financial data safe on the go:
1. Make sure your phone is protected by the best security available. That means taking some time to educate yourself on how to recognize malicious attacks and enable personal security features.
2. Read the fine print. Does your bank or credit union mobile banking app allow you to delete all banking-related messages, pictures and other data saved on the phone? Can you disable the feature that automatically signs you in to your online bank account the minute your phone is turned on? Once connected to your account, will the app automatically disconnect after a certain period of inactivity? If the answer is “No” to any of these questions, find a new bank or credit union.
3. Stay up to date on the most current OS version available for your device, and the most current mobile app available from your financial institution.
4. Never respond to email or text messages from your bank or credit union that request personal information. Legitimate financial institutions will never initiate contact with you directly to ask that you verify account information over the phone or through email. When in doubt, call your financial institution and ask if the email or text is legitimate.
Go Mobile with Altra
Altra Federal Credit Union serves members in all 50 states and locations worldwide including two locations in Clarksville, TN. Altra offers mobile features and information you can access right at your fingertips…without logging in - such as rates, locations, ATM finder, mortgage loans and consumer loans. With our secure mobile app, you can check balances, transfer funds, send money, deposit checks, pay bills, review transactions and more all on the go. Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay are free and compatible with an Altra Debit or Credit card. In addition, you’re protected by a number of security features including Altra Secure ID: Free Identity Theft Protection powered by CyberScout™ and mobile Security & Fraud Alerts.Visit www.altra.org to learn more!
Here are some additional ways you can protect your mobile devices:
1. Prepare Ahead for Lost or Stolen Devices
Password-protect your device so it can’t be accessed unless the password is entered
Enable your keypad lock or phone lock function on your device to lock the device when it’s not in use.
Consider using a remote wipe program that gives you the ability to remotely delete all data on your device
Keep a record of the devices make, model, phone number, and serial number in case it’s stolen
2. Use Care Before Downloading Apps
3. Verify that the Site is Secure
Be cautious about the sties you visit and the information you release. When banking and shopping on your mobile device, check to be sure that the sites are secure. Look for web addresses with HTTPS: in the address.
4. When in Doubt, Don’t Respond
Don’t open unfamiliar attachments, emails, or text messages from unknown sources. Requests for personal information or a call for immediate action is usually a scam.
Altra Federal Credit Union is a federally insured financial institution providing a full range of financial services, from personal and business to lending and investments. Chartered in 1931, Altra is a not-for-profit, member-owned financial cooperative serving members in all 50 states and locations worldwide. We are also deeply committed to giving back to the communities we serve. Learn more at www.altra.org.