Serves 12 // Hands-on 30 minutes // Total 45 minutes
Sweet, meaty, and slightly saucy, this dip truly tastes like a sloppy Joe! You can skip Step 3, if desired, and instead place the dip in a slow cooker on the WARM setting at your tailgate site.
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 1⁄2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 onion)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
• 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
• 1⁄4 cup ketchup
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon white vinegar
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 (8-ounce) package pre-shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
• Corn chips (such as Fritos Scoops)
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the beef, and cook, stirring often, until the meat crumbles and is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, Dijon, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire, vinegar, paprika, red pepper, and salt.
2. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese, and bake at 400°F until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Serve with the corn chips.